1/21/12

My Thoughts + Writings. Part 2. What I Want to Accomplish.

As I've been typing all of this up, I'm constantly thinking about what already exists and how it can be built upon and made better. This seems to be what I am constantly defaulting to, simply by starting with whats already there. But that's not what I want to do, I want to rethink what all of this should look and act like. The iPad just came out at the beginning of 2010 and it's only the beginning of 2012, there is still so much ground to be covered with this new platform. And the same goes with the iPhone, it's been around since the summer of 2007, but that doesn't mean it still can't be improved upon. Why does a website have to look and act a certain way? I feel like my project in IA about redesigning USA Today's website was starting to question that. Something I will also touch upon in a later blog post is thinking about new technologies, ones that either replace or supplement the current technologies out in the world.
            There are many websites and apps that are already changing the interactive design field, but how can they influence something completely new? Flud has a unique form to its content and a fresh concept behind all of it, but I want to push it even more. Flipboard is a very unique app in that it questions how the user should interact with the app, and how the app should respond. But, it feels regressive in that it's informed by how we interact with newspapers or books (this isn't either). I want to learn from what they've done, and learn from their ideas and reasonings and create something new.
            I want to figure out a way that I can be actively progressive in my concept and design through being influenced by whats out there already. I want to push my ability to think ahead and create something speculative. In a world that is changing as fast as it is, the designer's ability to think progressively will be one of the best and handiest tools in their filing cabinets. That can only be done by researching and studying what has come before and figure out patterns within everything. I don't want to build upon with this project, I want to redefine. Yes, that's a huge statement, but if I put it out there, it gives me something to strive for. I need to be careful to not put those steps too high, I don't want face plant and make myself feel like I let me down. I know my strengths and weaknesses, and by keeping those in mind (and on paper) that should help me from face planting. At least I hope so.

shortlink: http://ianarthur.info/x1kece 

No comments:

Post a Comment